Master Corbin (Owner & Primary Instructor)
James Corbin started training in martial arts around 4 or 5 years old. He considers himself very lucky to train in multiple martial arts with some of the best athletes, coaches, and instructors in the world. Master Corbin is grateful to all of the people that have helped him on his martial arts path. He is a 2014 AAU National Silver Medalist, 2015 AAU National Champion,
and 2016 World Open Silver Medalist. As coach he led the 2013 AAU 2nd Place National Team, as well as the 2014 and 2015 AAU National Champion Teams. Master Corbin’s goal is to use martial arts training to help each student gain more confidence, self-control, accountability,
strong work ethic, a feeling of safety, team building, success through hard work, and so much more.
Abby Heaton has been doing Taekwondo for 9 years, and since then has received her 2nd Dan, competed at 5 Nationals and 2 US Opens, and won both a National Championship and a silver medal. Taekwondo has helped her confidence and body awareness when it comes to everyday life and self-defense situations. As an instructor Ms. Heaton wants to help students achieve that same confidence, both on and off the mat. Seeing a student’s first class, and watching their advancement is why she loves being an instructor at Championship Training.
Lydia Garrick has been in Taekwondo at Championship Training since 2011 at the age of seven. Since then, she has gone on to win a national championship, place 3rd at US Team Trials, 1st in the Pan American Championship, and hold a spot on the state team for 2 years and running. She has been helping to instruct at Championship Training since she was a senior green belt, and earned her 2nd degree black belt in December 2018. She loves being able to see students progress and improve not only in the gym, but also as people. She recognizes the huge benefits in community, confidence, and opportunity that Taekwondo presents to athletes and is grateful to be involved in such a fantastic
Yoga Instructor, Yoga Therapist, Fitness Instructor, Office Administrator.
HISTORY & VISION:
Championship Training began with two athletes. We didn’t have a building, so we trained year-round in local parks in Missoula. Those two athletes’ commitment and success helped build Championship Training into the gym it is today. October 1st 2009 we were able to open the dojang in an old warehouse, complete with a leaky ceiling, a scary bathroom, and rats. We opened with 5 athletes. We quickly moved from that location into our previous location on Stephens Ave attached to the Church of the Gates. That location served us well for 10 years, but as our gym grew larger, so did our vision. Our move into the old Cold Springs school gymnasium gives us room to expand and grow even more and to incorporate yoga and yoga therapy. Although we no longer have rats, a leaky roof, or scary bathrooms, we continue to have a personalized focus on each student and a love of martial arts and physical and mental wellbeing. Championship Trainings’ purpose is to build strong, positive, and confident leaders in our community and share our dream and passion of embodied healing.
- Master Corbin began Taekwondo training in 1984 at Big Sky Taekwondo with Master Steven Capener
- In 1985 he took 1st place in the State Championship
- At age 7 he was the youngest student allowed to participate in adult classes and began teaching and coaching at age 12
- In addition to Taekwondo, Master Corbin trained in wrestling, boxing, kempo.
- Coaching experience in baseball, wrestling, strength and conditioning coach for many athletes including players from the Softball Little League World Series Championships.
- Developed a Self Defense Program for the University of Montana and the local YWCA
- 2009 Established his Taekwondo school Championship Training with 3 students and it has now grown into two locations with 100’s of students.
- Competed and placed in several national and regional tournaments throughout the years Recently
- 2013 National Silver Medalist
- 2014 National Champion
- 2013 and 2014 won the Team State Championship
- 2013 and 2014 AAU National Championship Team Coach
- 2015 Received 4th Dan
- 2016 US Open Silver Medalist Coach
- 2017 and 2018 won the Team State Championship
- 2018 US Open Bronze Medalist Coach
- 2018/2019 1st ever back to back team trophy’s to Liberty Lake
- 2019 Received 5th Dan
We have been very fortunate to be rewarded for hard work, and a great team. Although some of Master Corbin’s achievements are posted above to give you a sense of his experience, some of the most important achievements we have accomplished are as follows:
- Watching students begin at white belt and work up through black belt and become junior instructors
- Helping students overcome anxiety, fear, anger, and self-control situations
- Working to stop bullying situations
- Teaching students that believe they can’t accomplish, that with the correct planning they can
- Teaching students to become strong leaders in the gym and the community
- Facilitating students in persevering towards goals and watching as they accomplish what they thought they couldn’t do